Monday, February 7, 2011

Bud Lite & Doritos. YUM!












This Sunday I did what most people in America do on the first Sunday in February and that is watch the Super Bowl. Most of my friends only watch the Super Bowl because of the legendary commercials that play. I however, actually look forward to the game. Of course that's not to say I don't enjoy the commercials that get played. I think it's kind of funny that this is the one day where people get together and voluntarily watch commercials. It seems that the past few years Bud Lite and Doritos have dominated the Super Bowl commercials with some of the best ads of the year. Last year Doritos claimed spots 1 and 2 for the best commercials. This year however, Volkswagen claimed the top spot with a child dressed up as Darth Vader.



Although this ad is very funny, especially the kids reaction when the car starts up, you really don't get much information about the car; and that is in fact what Volkswagen is trying to sell. Some of my personal favorite ads were from brands that included Doritos and Bud Lite, of course, Best Buy, Chevy, eTrade, Audi, and Home Away. But that's just to name a few. The Best Buy ad, although it wasn't that funny I did enjoy them referring to Justin Bieber as a girl... I mean that's just funny! Some of these brands had quite a few ads so lets get specific, shall we?















These are some of the funniest commercials, in my opinion. Although I do have to admit that it is a little absurd that companies are willing to pay about 3 million dollars just to get a commercial slot and then spend a couple more million dollars to make the ad, just to sell their slot at the last minute. But all that craziness aside the Super Bowl has become one of the most televised events in history partly because of the commercials that get played.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blogging, Rachel!

    And your observation about how LITTLE information we get about the car (in this case) is spot on.

    Adverts are designed to move us emotionally, not make rational claims.

    Welcome to the world of the limbic brain.

    I look forward to reading more!

    Phineas

    ReplyDelete